I had completed the steps in Q173396 to no avail. I believe the problem was
actually with the backup database being corrupt and not the current
database. I think the errors were generated as a result of a failure to
write to the backup database.
Looks like I have it fixed and here is (to the best of my recollection) what
1. I deleted the j50.log and J#####.log files in the main dhcp directory
and, unlike what the article said, I also deleted the dhcp.mdb file (of
course, I ran a backup first).
2. I restored the whole dhcp directory from what I believed to be the last
good backup of that directory (meaning prior to the database becoming
3. I made sure that the only files in the dhcp\backup\jet\new directory
were dchp.mdb, dhcp.pat and a j####.log file. Then I copied the dhcp.mdb to
the dhcp directory.
4. Then I restarted the DHCP service, checked the event log - saw no
errors. Then stopped the DHCP service, checked the event log - saw no
errors. Then restarted the DHCP service again and checked the event log and
saw no errors.
So, for now everything seems to be fixed (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).